Monday 22 August 2011

Fishing

I don’t think that I’m a real expert on this subject,but Father always took me fishing when we have the time, so I think that I know quite a bit on how to fish.

Since I just four or five years old, Father has taken me out on fishing trips, and has taught me a lot, but since I am older, I have taught him a thing or two also. Naturally, I have a story to tell you on the first time I went fishing. I still remember it like it was yesterday. Father took me to a swamp near our house. Now we fished for a while until I got my line stuck on a log out in the water, and could not get it out. Father came over to help me get it out, and while he was busy getting my line out, a fish began to pull his line into the water. I ran over to it, picked it up, and began to fight the fish that was on it. It took me about fifteen minutes to get it in, and when I did, it was a snakefish, or as we Malaysian called it haruan.For all of you who don’t know what a haruan is,it is one of the most sought carnivorous predatory fish in Malaysia as it is widely believed by Malaysian to have remedial effects. Haruan contains a good composition of amino acids and fatty acids hypothesized to be active components in the initiation of wound repair.

However, that day I was so happy just to catch a fish, it didn’t matter if it was a catfish or snakefish. I was on top of the world. That was the first fish I reeled. Since then, Father and I went on numerous fishing trip around Klang. Nonetheless, our final trip together was on Jan 2011.

Few weeks after SPM, Father took me to Kg. Nelayan, in Teluk Gadong, Klang. It was our regular fishing spot. Little did I know It will be our last. It began like any other trips we had. The bait, the line, the pole, etc. After few hours, we were sweating bullets, and not a single fish caught. It was pretty dull. To add to the tension, my line was stuck. Or so I thought. It was as history repeat itself. Father came to help me out. It was no use. Just we were about to cut the line, it moved.

We were excited to see what it is. When father reel the line, It was a stingray. Little info about stingray, it is a bottom feeder, with a sting at its tail, poisonous enough to numb you for few hours, and no, stingray did not killed Steve Irwin, it was Mantaray, and for us, amateur angler, it was one of the most prized fish.

Father was very happy that day and so was I. We were so glad that we didn't cut the line.
That part of my history I will never forget, because, few months later, Father passed away.

Moral of the story: Cherished every moments with your father, it may be your last.


3 comments:

  1. I never go to fishing for the whole of my life. So, i have no experience for that. If i can go for that i think it can be something that is interesting and memorable for me. Fishing teaches us to be a patient person which we need to wait for the fishes whether for short or long time. Besides, i cherish every moment with my beloved family in other ways. For sure, all of the moments will always in my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I also like to go fishing during my free time. But, I’m used to go fishing at sea or ocean and it is also known as saltwater fishing. For me, saltwater fishing is more challenging but I also enjoy freshwater fishing. Last year, I joined my uncle along with my friends for fishing at Tawau Yacht Club jetty, 2 km from land. There I managed to caught Giant Trevally fish (GT) and I’m still satisfied even I just caught one single fish for the whole day. I’m not an expert in this field but I have some knowledge about the similarities and the difference between freshwater fishing and saltwater fishing:

    Both big and little fish can be caught in both types of water. You need bait for both and can use either live or artificial bait. You can go out in a boat in both salt water and fresh water and you can use a rod and reel along the beach shoreline or in a fresh water lake or river, so just what is the difference?

    One of the main differences is the size of the gear used. The saltwater angler will usually use a reel that is much bigger than that of the freshwater angler. He is all set to catch that really giant fish. His pole will also be much stouter - just in case he hooks something the size of a whale!

    Saltwater fishing allows the angler to fish in much deeper water. Even though some lakes are deep, they are usually not as deep as the ocean. So when you fish out in the ocean you will need not only a greater length of line to fish deep, but a stronger one.

    Another difference is in the kind of boat used. A small boat is sufficient for freshwater fishing, but to go out in the ocean, something sturdier is required. You will certainly need two engines in case of malfunction. The ocean is a big place to break down in. You will need extra safety gear, too.

    Technique is another area where the two differ. The lake angler will use a trolling motor and go around the perimeters of the lake and his casting will be in that area, via, the shoreline. Unless he is based on land in which case he will cast as far from the shore as he can. But generally speaking the freshwater angler finds the fish first, then, tries to catch them.

    The saltwater angler on the other hand, concentrates on the opposite way by trying to bring the fish to him. He does this by dragging his lures along at the back of the boat in the hopes that a fish will be there. Of course some may have a sonar fish-finder of some kind aboard - not very fair to the fish when you come to think of it, but more fun for the angler.
    Last but not least is the type of fish caught in saltwater versus freshwater fishing. Not only are saltwater bigger fish (in most cases), but they are different fish. Although some species like salmon and mullet migrate from their normal habitat for spawning purposes, most fish are classified as either freshwater or saltwater. Marlin and swordfish for instance will never be found in freshwater.

    Well, That's all from me. Thank you for sharing...

    By: Mohammad Rizal Bin Abdul Rahman (16525)

    ReplyDelete