Monday 22 August 2011


FIXIE a social infection...

Fixie. It stands for fixed-gear bicycle. It is common among the teenagers nowadays. This is because it's sleek look and simple making it one of the choices of bicycles in the world besides MTB (mountain bike), ROADBIKE (racing bike), BMX (use in X-Games) and many more to be written.

Now, an introduction to FIXIE. Fixie is bicycle that has no freewheel, meaning it cannot coast as the pedals are intact with the motion of the bicycle when it is moving. The sprocket is fix to the rear wheel. As the pedals are rotating, the rear wheel will move proportional with the direction of the pedaling. Certain fixie user install a brake as for safety. This is common for novice rider. While, user with a long term of experience does not need to install a brake. It is upon their choice.

The main attraction of fixie is it has low weight. It is easy to carry and to ride on. While, dismantling it will not be a problem to most of users. It uses a direct power from the pedaling. Thus, a fixie needs less energy to move. Fixie also has fewer moving parts compare to a multi-gearing bicycle and it requires less maintenance than other bikes.

Then, I would like to share with you all my own fixie. The picture above is my fixie. I got it when I registered to Universiti Teknologi Petronas. My father bought it for me because he said it is a simple transportation to move around the campus. Plus, it is easier to manage and less money needed for maintenance and upkeep. I enjoyed riding it as many of my friends have their own bicycle too. Some of them uses ROADBIKE and some uses MTB and many more. This fixie had been useful for me to move around the campus. Furthermore, I can exercise while enjoy riding it. That's all from me. Till then, toodles =)




4 comments:

  1. I hope you can take much good care of your beloved bike... I could expect you might dump that bike off after you have enough money at least to buy a motorbike for the next semester, but I hope you wouldn't do that even you have your motorbike. Anyway, thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the information. this tells me that there is more things that I need to know about a bicycle. hop you will take a good care of your bicycle.

    ReplyDelete